Taunton is one of the oldest cities in the country, founded in 1639 and incorporated in 1864. The history here is as rich as it gets, and you can sense its special story around every corner. Taunton is the ideal blend of rural and urban, with one foot in nature and the other in the conveniences of the city.
Taunton is located in the heart of southeastern Massachusetts, only 40 miles south of Boston, 18 miles east of Providence, and a shot away from Cape Cod. Most of the area’s major roads cross in or near Taunton.
Here are a few more area attractions that make Taunton such a great place to live and play:
* Less than two minutes from Leisurewoods is the Gertrude Boyden Wildlife Refuge, which features a self-guided walking tour. A three-mile-long river runs alongside the stunning walking trail, ending with a trickling waterfall.
* This refuge has free admission and is open year-round. Here, you can also find more hiking trails, a botanical garden, wooden bridges, picnic grounds, and bird-watching spots.
* Taunton is also about 45 minutes from Plymouth and Newport.
* Taunton has more than 20 parks and recreation sites in the city.
* Wildlife abounds here, spanning birds, coyotes, turtles, geese, foxes, hawks, raccoons, otters, owls, opossums, white swans, deer -- the list goes on!
* Rent a canoe or kayak and take a guided tour through the Narragansett Bay Watershed. Special themes include: photography, snorkeling, swimming, and moonlit tours.
* Go golfing at the area courses, such as the John F. Parker Municipal Golf Course, a nine-hole public course.
* There are many places to go shopping in town, but a favorite is the The Silver City Galleria, a large, two-floor indoor shopping mall with several hundreds of stores, a movie theater, a bank, and a food court.
* Grab a bite to eat at the fine yet affordable Benjamin’s Restaurant, or one of the other many options in town.
* Don’t miss the Farmers Market, where you can enjoy local produce and products every Thursday through late October.