You will love Manteno! This “village” is ideally located just south of Chicago’s loop -- with all of its exciting, world-class attractions -- yet tucked away with a small-town atmosphere and relaxing pace. Manteno itself offers a wide range of shopping, health, recreation, and entertainment opportunities, and Kankakee County is lively and unique.
Here are just a few great local attractions:
* Manteno boasts a diverse assortment of dining options -- including more pizza places than stop lights. It seems there’s a pizza joint on every corner.
* The area holds many annual events, such as the Oktoberfest in September, in the heart of downtown Manteno. This community event includes carnival rides, culinary vendors, a lighted parade with more than 100 entries, and stunning floats.
* Go golfing at the challenging, 18-hole Manteno Golf Club. Sign up for a league or even twilight couples events. Kankakee County offers some of the best courses south of Chicago.
* Don’t miss the Manteno Farmer’s Market, where you can find locally grown fruit and vegetables, baked goods, jewelry, crafts, and locally raised meats. * Love the outdoors? Kankakee River State Park, along the Kankakee River, offers 4,000 acres of natural splendor. Go hiking, bike-riding, fishing, horseback riding, walking, canoeing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, hunting, boating, on a picnic, or just enjoy the unspoiled serenity that Mother Nature has to offer.
* History buffs will enjoy the nearby railroad museum (featuring a 1947 Pullman Coach).
* Visitors always enjoy the Barn Quilt Tour Experience, a unique chance to learn about the 42 historical barns across the county. Make sure you pick up the 2011 Barn Quilt Guide Book.
* Looking for a unique night out? The Bennett-Curtis House Mystery Dinner Theater features a five-course dinner and mystery show.
* Take advantage of the Kankakee River Valley Guide Service, a professional float boat fishing tour along the river.
* This area is a shopper’s paradise, with many shopping complexes and antiques stores. One highlight: the Northfield Square Mall, with more than 65 shops and a movie theater.
* Sports fans will be excited to learn that Kankakee County is the home to the Chicago Bears’ summer training camp.